HOW TO FILE A HURRICANE CLAIM AND THE PROCESS
HOW TO PREPARE FOR HURRICANE SEASON
You should always take the following precautionary steps:
- Have a legible copy of your entire policy available.
- Speak with an attorney about the types of coverage you have.
- Update the current condition of your home, prior to hurricane season.
- Take a video of your home and inventory all personal property inside your house.
IF A LOSS OCCURS DOCUMENT EVERYTHING
- Take videotaped footage of the damages to the inside and outside of your home.
CONTACT A KNOWLEDGEABLE HURRICANE CLAIMS ATTORNEY
- The attorneys here at Finebloom and Haenel are here to help. We want this claim settled in a timely and professional matter. Whether you have damage to your roof, windows, or structure of your home we will make sure the damages to your home are appraised by a qualified home inspector and make sure all damages are properly documented.
FILE THE CLAIM
- We recommend that you consult with an attorney prior to filing your claim. It is important to be very careful what you say to your insurance company as anything you say can be used against you even used to deny your claim. The Insurance Company would like nothing better than to minimize or deny the claim based on the numerous exclusions in your policy.
YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY INSPECTS THE DAMAGED PROPERTY
- Within 48-72 hours your insurance company will send out what they like to call an independent adjuster to assess the damages and make recommendations to the insurance company. Be wary of the independent titles, as these adjusters are hired by your insurance company and do not represent your best interest.
- Keep in mind the adjuster may ask questions and use that information against you when your final claim is submitted. They may use that information to claim an exclusion for example wear and tear.
- If you have hired an attorney make sure you speak to them prior to any in depth conversation with the insurance adjuster.
THE PROCESS IS LENGTHY
- Nothing is quick when dealing with insurance companies. They believe in the concept of delay with the hope that you may become frustrated and go away or settle for less than your claim is worth. You need to be patient but keep in constant contact with your attorney and in-house adjuster.
DENIAL OR APPROVAL
- If your claim has been denied or approved for an amount less then need to properly restore your house or business to it pre-loss condition, we can help fight that decision. Whether it is through settlement negotiations or the filing of a lawsuit you need an experienced attorney who can help fight for you.